Saturday, March 23, 2013

Why?

I've thought about starting a blog many times. But inevitably I came back to the thought, "There are already so many people who blog. Most of them lead much more interesting lives than I do and have much better things to say. Why would anyone want to read what I write?" But I recently came across some lyrics (actually through another blog) that changed my perspective in a big way. Josh Ritter in his song California sings:

"Don't say the trip's been done a hundred thousand times,
                                                cause this one is mine."

I doubt I'll have any mind-blowing revelations or that I'll make you double-over with laughter. I probably won't inspire you go after your life-long dream of becoming an astronaut, or motivate you to organize your entire home alphabetically one room at a time. 

What I will do, though, is share myself with you. That is all I can do. You are under absolutely no obligation to read this; but, at this moment in my life, this 30-something feels obligated to (or at least the need to) write. I believe that everyone's story is part of a bigger story: God's story, humanity's story, our family's story. This is a sneak peek into my story as a woman, a wife, a mom, a Christian, a singer/artist, a Yankee living in the south, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, and a friend; and maybe, if we are lucky, a peek into the Greater Story that's being told.

No comments:

Post a Comment